Rent is most likely the biggest bill you will need to pay each month. Housing costs continue to go up, yet paychecks are not keeping pace. This leaves many women to struggle with paying their rent, whether they have dependent children or not. Yet housing is something that we can’t compromise on. We have to have somewhere to live, even if paying for it is a challenge. The solution that can help through difficult financial times is to get rent assistance for women.
What is Rent Assistance?
Rent assistance is the help that women need when they find it difficult to pay for their housing. Some women need rent assistance on a short term basis, such as to get through one difficult month. Other women need ongoing rent assistance, such as those who may need to consider public housing so that they have long term help. Rent assistance is not a loan, so it does not have to be paid back. You will apply for the various programs where rent assistance for women is offered, and if you are approved you will receive the funds as a helpful gift.
There are numerous options you can turn to, whether you need short or long term rent assistance. Consider each of the programs, what they offer, and the eligibility requirements before applying. Once you have identified the programs that you feel are a good fit for your situation, move forward with applying for them to seek help paying the rent.
++ Popular grants for women
- $5,000 Doris Day foundation grant
- $15,000 Patagonia Grant
- $2,500 Zach Grant
- $700 Target Field Trip Grant
- $25,000 Ben & Jerry’s Social Change Grant Program
- $1,000 Pollination Project Seed Grant
- $10,000 Saucony Run for Good Grant
- $35,000 W. Eugene Smith Photography Grant
- $2,000 Whole Kids Garden Grant Program
- $20,000 Dizzy Feet Foundation Dance Grant
Short Term Rent Assistance for Women
There are several options for those who need short term assistance, which is that you need help paying for rent for one or two months. There are programs offered through nonprofit organizations that will provide rent assistance for women. The programs usually do not have a strict application process, but do want to focus on helping those who are very low income and truly have a need for the financial assistance.
Programs that offer short term rent assistance include the United Way, Salvation Army, and Catholic Charities. Additionally, the American Red Cross will offer short term rent assistance for those who have experienced emergencies or natural disasters. To apply with these programs find their location in your area and contact them to inquire about local rent assistance for women. They should be able to tell you about the assistance they offer, and may be able to provide you with information about other local rent assistance options.
Long Term Rent Assistance for Women
Those who need long term rent assistance will find that there are government funded programs they can turn to. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers long term rent assistance for women. Their programs include the public housing, where you will live in a building or home that they own, as well as rent assistance through their voucher program. The voucher program allows you to choose where you want to live, and they pay the landlord a portion of the rent, and then you are responsible for making up the difference.
The HUD programs are available to those who have a very low income and are citizens or legal immigrants. There is rent assistance for women who have dependent children, who are seniors, and disabled. The public housing program is federally funded and is administered through Public Housing Authority locations around the country. To find out about public housing assistance in your area you can contact your local Public Housing Authority office.
To apply for the voucher program, contact the HUD office in your state. You will first speak with a counselor who will assess your current financial situation and your housing needs. They will determine if you qualify for the voucher program, and if you do they will give you the information on how to apply for it. Eligibility for the voucher program includes that you will have to show proof of income. They want to verify that you will have the ability to make the difference in what the landlord is charging and what their rent assistance provides.
There are several options for those who need rent assistance. Women who need the help paying for their rent should evaluate each program to see which one will work for their situation. The help is there for those who need it, providing a safety net during difficult financial times.
++ Popular grants for women
- Government assistance programs for Women
- Section 8 Assistance Program for Women
- Low Income Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for Women
- Mortgage Assistance Programs for Women
- Get Help with Buying your Medications
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for Women
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to Women
- Salvation Army Assistance Programs for Women
- Free Legal Assistance for Women
- Help for Women with Paying Off Student Loans
- Electric Bills Assistance for Women
- Grants and Scholarships for Women Going Back to College
- Popular Charities that Help Women with Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Senior Women
- Financial Assistance Programs for Disabled Women
- Pell Grants for Women
- Children’s Health Insurance Program for Women
- Grants for Women with No Health Insurance
- How to Apply for Government Benefits as a Woman
- Food Stamps for Women
- Unemployment Benefits for Women
- Grants for Women that Help with Telephone Bills
- Debt Consolidation Programs for Women
- Bankruptcy Assistance for Women
- HUD Public Housing for Women
- Small Business Grants for Women
- Grants for Pregnant Women
- Welfare Benefits for Women
- WIC Program for Women
- Rent Assistance for Women
- Housing Grants for Women
- Food Assistance for Women
- Cash Assistance for Women
- Childcare Assistance for Women
- Local Church Assistance Programs for Women
- College Grants for Women
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for Women
- Water Bills Assistance for Women
- Financial Help for Female Veterans