According to the US Department of Labor, 70 percent of women who have children under the age of 18 are in the labor force. Plus, mothers are the primary earners for 40 percent of households that have minor children. These numbers have increased a lot over the last several decades, with more women being in the labor force. There is one challenge that most of these women face, however, and that is childcare. The good news is that there is childcare assistance for women who need it.
The Need for Childcare
Millions of women who are in the work force are faced with a challenge every week. That challenge is paying for childcare. The cost of childcare can be a real challenge for many mothers, with a month of care ranging from $1,000 per month in a state such as Arizona, but over $2,000 per month in a state such as New York. The amount that is charged for childcare is a lot, often making some women wonder if it’s even worth taking a job.
Childcare assistance for women is made possible through the federal government. The program helps to cover the cost of the childcare, making it easier for mothers to afford. With childcare being one of the biggest things that parents have to budget for it’s important that there is helpful childcare assistance for women. There are several childcare assistance options, giving you more to explore so you can find the one that works best for your family.
++ Popular grants for women
- $5,000 Doris Day foundation grant
- $15,000 Patagonia Grant
- $2,500 Zach Grant
- $700 Target Field Trip Grant
- $25,000 Ben & Jerry’s Social Change Grant Program
- $1,000 Pollination Project Seed Grant
- $10,000 Saucony Run for Good Grant
- $35,000 W. Eugene Smith Photography Grant
- $2,000 Whole Kids Garden Grant Program
- $20,000 Dizzy Feet Foundation Dance Grant
Types of Childcare Assistance Programs
The government provides a few different options when it comes to childcare assistance for women. It’s a good idea to explore the various options to see which one you qualify for and will work for you.
Childcare Subsidies – This is a federal program that uses vouchers or fee assistance. Every state is given money from the government in order to help people with childcare assistance. The eligibility requirements vary by state, but all require that you have a low income. The programs will help pay for your childcare expenses, by providing your care provider with a voucher that is funded by the government. To apply for the childcare subsidies you have to contact the office in your state.
Head Start Programs – The Head Start programs that are available around the country provide children with an early education program that also provides them with childcare. Those who meet the low income requirements may be able to have their child in the program for free. The number of spaces for those to attend the program for free is limited, so if it is full your name will go on a wait list. You can apply for the Head Start program online.
Prekindergarten Programs – Many states around the country offer what are called prekindergarten programs. These programs provide childcare that is done in an educational type environment. The children who attend these programs are usually 3-4 years old and will focus on early learning development, such as learning to count and the alphabet. The programs help to prepare to children to start kindergarten, by getting them ready to take on academics and getting them used to being in an educational setting. These programs are usually free to everyone, regardless of what your income level is. To apply, contact the prekindergarten program in your area. In some states these programs are referred to as VPK.
Military Childcare Assistance – There is a special program for military members who need childcare assistance. The program helps members of the military with their childcare expenses. The requirements to participate in this program vary by state, as well as by which branch of the military you are in. To get more information or apply for the program, locate the program in your geographic area.
You may also find childcare assistance for women by contacting local churches and childcare centers. Some may provide discounts and grants that will give you what you need to help make it more affordable. Contact the charities, churches, and childcare centers in your area to inquire about what programs they can offer. You may just be surprised at the resources that are out there to help with covering childcare expenses.
++ Popular grants for women
- Government assistance programs for Women
- Section 8 Assistance Program for Women
- Low Income Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for Women
- Mortgage Assistance Programs for Women
- Get Help with Buying your Medications
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for Women
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to Women
- Salvation Army Assistance Programs for Women
- Free Legal Assistance for Women
- Help for Women with Paying Off Student Loans
- Electric Bills Assistance for Women
- Grants and Scholarships for Women Going Back to College
- Popular Charities that Help Women with Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Senior Women
- Financial Assistance Programs for Disabled Women
- Pell Grants for Women
- Children’s Health Insurance Program for Women
- Grants for Women with No Health Insurance
- How to Apply for Government Benefits as a Woman
- Food Stamps for Women
- Unemployment Benefits for Women
- Grants for Women that Help with Telephone Bills
- Debt Consolidation Programs for Women
- Bankruptcy Assistance for Women
- HUD Public Housing for Women
- Small Business Grants for Women
- Grants for Pregnant Women
- Welfare Benefits for Women
- WIC Program for Women
- Rent Assistance for Women
- Housing Grants for Women
- Food Assistance for Women
- Cash Assistance for Women
- Childcare Assistance for Women
- Local Church Assistance Programs for Women
- College Grants for Women
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for Women
- Water Bills Assistance for Women
- Financial Help for Female Veterans