Credit is something that we all can benefit from but it can also easily work against us. While it is exciting to get access to money and then pay it back later, having that opportunity can result in overspending which leads to out-of-control debt. This is especially true when you are already struggling to make ends meet. If you are looking for some professional guidance on how to build your credit for the first time or how to repair it if things have gone array, the good news is, there are free and low-cost credit counselors that are waiting to help you. Here is where you can turn.
Free and Low-Cost Credit Counseling Service Locations
When looking for affordable credit counseling you can trust, you should look to providers that are credit unions, religious organizations, or non-profit organizations. Further, check to see if they are accredited with the Financial Counseling Association of America (FCAA), Council of Accreditation (COA), or the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC). Doing so will help ensure they are legitimate service providers. Here are a few of our recommendations:
American Consumer Credit Counseling Inc. (ACCC)
The ACCC offers a free counseling session and free budget consultation to help you assess your situation and understand your options. If you want to enroll in a debt management plan, there is a $39 fee to enroll and a monthly maintenance fee. However, these costs can be waived if your state has regulations for financial harships. To learn more, click here.
It is a member of the NFCC and is accredited by the Council of Accreditation (COA).
++ Popular grants for women
- $5,000 Doris Day foundation grant
- $15,000 Patagonia Grant
- $2,500 Zach Grant
- $700 Target Field Trip Grant
- $25,000 Ben & Jerry’s Social Change Grant Program
- $1,000 Pollination Project Seed Grant
- $10,000 Saucony Run for Good Grant
- $35,000 W. Eugene Smith Photography Grant
- $2,000 Whole Kids Garden Grant Program
- $20,000 Dizzy Feet Foundation Dance Grant
Credit.org is a non-profit organization which has been in operation since 1974. It provides financial education and coaching to individuals and families. You can receive the following services at no cost: credit counseling (by phone or in-person), debt counseling (by phone or in-person), foreclosure prevention (by phone), webinars (online), and Financial Instruction Training Academy (online). Further services are available but with modest fees. Learn more here.
Credit.org is an NFCC member, is accredited by the Council of Accreditation (COA), and is a HUD-approved counseling agency.
ClearPoint Financial Solutions
Clearpoint Financial Solutions is a division of the non-profit organization Money Management International. It helps consumers to review their financial situation and make beneficial changes. You can receive free credit and busget counseling, pre-purchase housing counseling, and foreclosure prevention counseling. Other services are offered for a modest fee.
Learn more about ClearPoint here.
Clearpoint is a member agency of the NFCC.
InCharge Debt Solutions
InCharge Debt Solutions is another non-profit organization. It has helped over 3 million people to deal with their debt. It offers free credit counseling. Additionally, it offers debt management plans, debt consolidation plans, bankruptcy counseling, and more. Learn more here.
InCharge is accredited by the COA and is a member agency of the NFCC.
Take Charge America
Take Charge America is a non-profit agency with over 25 years of experience helping customers to get out of debt. You can get started with free credit counseling which will include personal support and guidance from certified counselers, a customized budget and action plan, free educational resources for healthy spending habits. You can sign up for an ongoing debt management plan for a modest fee.
Learn more here.
Take Charge America is a member agency of NFCC and the FCAA as well as accredited by the COA.
GreenPath Financial Wellness
A national non-profit with over 60 years of experience, GreenPath Financial can help you get your finances back on track. It offers free counseling in which certified counselors help you to create a plan. Click here to learn more.
GreenPath Financial is an NFCC member and is accredited by the COA and by Consumer Affairs.
Pioneer Credit Counseling
Pioneer Credit Counseling is a non-profit agency with over 30 years of experience. It offers free advice and resources through its free mobile app. Further, get free credit counseling. Learn more here.
This organization is a member agency of the FCAA.
If you have identified that you would like some guidance, that is the first step on a path toward a brighter future. Don’t hesitate to call the above contacts in order to find the help you need!
++ Popular grants for women
- Government assistance programs for Women
- Section 8 Assistance Program for Women
- Low Income Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for Women
- Mortgage Assistance Programs for Women
- Get Help with Buying your Medications
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for Women
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to Women
- Salvation Army Assistance Programs for Women
- Free Legal Assistance for Women
- Help for Women with Paying Off Student Loans
- Electric Bills Assistance for Women
- Grants and Scholarships for Women Going Back to College
- Popular Charities that Help Women with Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Senior Women
- Financial Assistance Programs for Disabled Women
- Pell Grants for Women
- Children’s Health Insurance Program for Women
- Grants for Women with No Health Insurance
- How to Apply for Government Benefits as a Woman
- Food Stamps for Women
- Unemployment Benefits for Women
- Grants for Women that Help with Telephone Bills
- Debt Consolidation Programs for Women
- Bankruptcy Assistance for Women
- HUD Public Housing for Women
- Small Business Grants for Women
- Grants for Pregnant Women
- Welfare Benefits for Women
- WIC Program for Women
- Rent Assistance for Women
- Housing Grants for Women
- Food Assistance for Women
- Cash Assistance for Women
- Childcare Assistance for Women
- Local Church Assistance Programs for Women
- College Grants for Women
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for Women
- Water Bills Assistance for Women
- Financial Help for Female Veterans