Are you a woman living in Austin, Texas and looking for grants to help you out financially? You have come to the right place. Read on to find out about several different programs that may be able to offer you the assistance you need. Everyone hits a rough patch from time to time but these grants can help you get back on track.
Amber Grant from Womens Net
The Amber Grant is a small business grant program designed just for women who are trying to start or expand their own business. Each month, women submit their applications and the WomensNet judges award at least one grant of $2,000, sometimes more. At the end of the year, all of the winners from the year are automatically in the running for a grand prize of $25,000. All in all, you could walk away with $27,000 if you are the grand prize winner for the year. All you have to do is share your story. There are no lengthy forms to fill out but you do have to make an impact so you stand out from the rest of the applicants. To learn more or apply, click here.
Women’s Fund from the Austin Community Fund
The Austin Community Fund established the Women’s Fund program which engages men and women to help support women and children in the community. To date, more than $1.6 million has been awarded through the grant. In 2019, the Women’s Fund will be awarding $250,000 to non profits (in Travis, Burnet, Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays and Williamson counties) which focus on helping women with housing, child care, unintended pregnancy prevention, and innovation. This means non-profits in these counties will have the financial support to help you. Learn more here. Further, if you are pursuing an education, you can apply for a scholarship from the Austin Community Fund here.
Rent Assistance from Housing Authority of the City of Austin (HACA)
If you are having trouble paying your rent, HACA runs several programs which can help, including the Tenant-based Rental Assistance Program and The Passages Program. Your family must be low-income, meaning you make at or below 50% of the median income in your area. If you qualify, you can receive rent subsidies and support services. By reducing the amount you pay to rent each month, you can have the break you need to get back on your feet. To learn more about the programs, click here. To apply, click here.
++ Popular grants for women
- $5,000 Doris Day foundation grant
- $15,000 Patagonia Grant
- $2,500 Zach Grant
- $700 Target Field Trip Grant
- $25,000 Ben & Jerry’s Social Change Grant Program
- $1,000 Pollination Project Seed Grant
- $10,000 Saucony Run for Good Grant
- $35,000 W. Eugene Smith Photography Grant
- $2,000 Whole Kids Garden Grant Program
- $20,000 Dizzy Feet Foundation Dance Grant
Utility Assistance from Housing Authority of the City of Austin (HACA)
If you are having trouble paying your utility bills, Austin Energy and Austin Water offer customer programs to help. Whether your problem is short- or long-term, you may qualify for a discount to keep your costs down. People who qualify, save an average of $650 per year!
To learn more and see if you are eligible, you can call 512-494-9400 or visit the website here.
If you unexpectantly can’t pay your bill and are facing a possible shut off, The First Support Plus 1 Program sources money from nonprofits and local churches which is used to help people in need to make their payments.
To learn more about this program and if you qualify, click here.
Down Payment Assistance Program (DPA)
Do you want to become a homeowner but can’t afford to save up for the down payment? The Down Payment Assistance Program helps you to purchase a home within the Austin city limits without putting any money down! To qualify, your household’s income must be 80% or less than the median family income in Austin. To find out about the other requirements and details of the program, click here.
Neighborhood Centers in Austin
If you are having trouble affording basic health care, childcare, food, clothing, etc. reach out to your local Neighborhood Centerin Austin. Find a center near you here.
Women living in Austin, there are many channels of support for you if you need them. From paying your rent to buying a home to starting a business. These programs are designed to help people in the community to make ends meet and propel them toward self-sufficiency. Don’t hesitate to reach out using the above contact information!
++ Popular grants for women
- Government assistance programs for Women
- Section 8 Assistance Program for Women
- Low Income Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Foreclosure Assistance Programs for Women
- Mortgage Assistance Programs for Women
- Get Help with Buying your Medications
- Medical Bills Assistance Programs for Women
- Financial Assistance Programs for Women
- Organizations That Offer Free or Low-Cost Credit Counseling to Women
- Salvation Army Assistance Programs for Women
- Free Legal Assistance for Women
- Help for Women with Paying Off Student Loans
- Electric Bills Assistance for Women
- Grants and Scholarships for Women Going Back to College
- Popular Charities that Help Women with Bills
- Financial Assistance Programs for Senior Women
- Financial Assistance Programs for Disabled Women
- Pell Grants for Women
- Children’s Health Insurance Program for Women
- Grants for Women with No Health Insurance
- How to Apply for Government Benefits as a Woman
- Food Stamps for Women
- Unemployment Benefits for Women
- Grants for Women that Help with Telephone Bills
- Debt Consolidation Programs for Women
- Bankruptcy Assistance for Women
- HUD Public Housing for Women
- Small Business Grants for Women
- Grants for Pregnant Women
- Welfare Benefits for Women
- WIC Program for Women
- Rent Assistance for Women
- Housing Grants for Women
- Food Assistance for Women
- Cash Assistance for Women
- Childcare Assistance for Women
- Local Church Assistance Programs for Women
- College Grants for Women
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program for Women
- Water Bills Assistance for Women
- Financial Help for Female Veterans